The end of a date can be awkward or it can be exhilarating. Should you lean in for a kiss? Will she give you her phone number? What will he think if you invite him in? If your date has gone poorly or if you’ve definitely decided you are not interested in seeing this person again, is the end of the date an appropriate time to bring this up, or should you just avoid their phone calls and pretend to have fallen off the face of the Earth? TopDatingTips.com has the answers in our top 10 list of tips for the end of a date:
1. If you really didn't have a great time, you can always end the date early by telling a white lie about having an urgent meeting, phone call, appointment to attend to. Your date will surely not be a fool and will understand what you are trying to say, and probably will appreciate you sparing their feelings. Better still, simply be kind but truthful and point out that you don't think you will be an ideal match, that you have had a lovely evening, but there is no chemistry/connection/whatever the issue is.
2. Never allow someone to believe there is more on offer than there really is. Do not keep your options open with someone if you don't intend to call them. It is always better to end the date as a full-stop than to keep someone hanging on for weeks afterwards. Don't falsely keep someone's hopes up, ever.
3. If you are a guy, pay the bill or get the check, whatever you believe. This is not the moment to start quibbling over who had what from the menu and splitting things. The age of chivalry is not dead and you had the company of the lady this evening, therefore it is your task to leave an excellent and chivalrous image by getting out your credit card.
4. If the lady insists on paying half, this can be the sign of a no-strings-attached evening out and that she prefers to leave things in a very even way. If she wants to do this, it is up to you whether you wish to accept.
5. Do not plan deep throat kissing and sex immediately after unless there are extremely obvious signals. And even then, remember that you should be planning to remain an enigma at least for a few dates and resolve not to get into bed just yet. As a guy you should be planning to see her to her cab and then give her a small kiss on the cheek.
6. If you like your date, tell them. You don't need to be explicit but you don't need to be coy either. If you enjoyed their company be forthright and confident and tell them that you would look forward to spending more time in their company very soon. If you can arrange a second date at this stage, then do so, but only if you are serious. People do not like being made a fool of or being let down.
7. Do not try to avoid hurting someone's feelings by pretending you like them more than you really do. If you had a good time but won't be seeing them again then better to leave things like that.
8. Keep things relaxed, fun and casual and if you feel they are less interested than you, then keep things open-ended and optional. That way your date will have time to reconsider.
9. If you are a guy see your date safely to a cab or her car and do not make her feel any pressure whatsoever. If you are a girl then ensure you feel comfortable with this happening. If you prefer to see yourself to a cab then do so.
10. And finally but perhaps controversially, don't offer friendship as substitute. This is a date and has it's basis in romance. Ultimately you will find friends in many different places, but you should view dating as the possibility of establishing romance as your foremost priority.
Always remember that dating is a step-by-step process. Each first date is an opportunity to either build on the relationship or cut your losses and seek another one. Act accordingly.